Nebbiolo wine tasting at Tenuta Carretta
Here is what you will live
Nebbiolo is the most ancient native black grape variety in Piedmont, and of the most noble and prestigious in Italy. Its name seems to originate from nebbia, the word for fog, because the late maturation of the grapes pushes the beginning of the harvest to the first mists of autumn. Or more likely, because the mature grapes appear covered in a bloom, a type of natural protective layer that reminds one of the colour of fog.
Nebbiolo needs careful attention and is very demanding in terms of the orientation and exposure of the vineyard as well as the processing and fertilization. The calcarious and tuffaceous soils are ideal for this vine, that needs terrain rich with sand and clay in the right proportions and which precociously buds in the first ten days of April.
The maturation, however, is late. Traditionally in the first half of October. Rather sensitive to sudden temperature fluctuations, it likes thermal excursions that characterize the passages between day and night, especially during ripening. But the richness of tannins in its skin requires, for the proper development of the polyphenolic substances that characterize this variety, hilly slopes well exposed to the sun, preferably south and west, with an altitude between 200 and 450m, sheltered from the wind and the cold spring days.
Tenuta Carretta is one of the few wineries to have vineyards of nebbiolo in all the original wine producing areas of the nebbiolo grape in the Langhe and Roero: Barolo, Barbaresco, Roero, Nebbiolo d’Alba and Langhe Nebbiolo.
With this tour you'll have the chance to taste:
- Podio Langhe DOC - The Podio vineyard first appears in 1467, when the Count Damiano granted his land to his stewards for cultivation. He required that half of the grapes were to be property of the castle, but all of the grapes from Podio were reserved for the count (“salvo et riservato vites Podii Serrae”). This wine is elegant and balanced, with soft tannins.
- Nebbiolo d’Alba DOC - This Nebbiolo has its origin in deep, compact terrain rich in clay/calcareous marl and layers of tufa. An elegant and harmonic wine, with sweet tannins that showcase the nobility of the variety.
- Tavoleto Nebbiolo d’Alba DOC - These nebbiolo grapes, from Podere Tavoleto in San Rocco Seno d’Elvio in the municipality of Alba, give live to this structured, harmonic, smooth and elegant wine.
- Garassino Barbaresco DOCG - Garassine is a winemaking area bounded by Treiso and noted for the personality and elegance of its wines. This Barbaresco proves it: complex, harmonic and persuasive.
- Cascina Ferrero Barolo DOCG - It is a full and warm Barolo, vinified following tradition. The soft and elegant tannins lend personality to the wine, characterized by a long finish
How to reach us
Booking Policy & Details
Min. 2 persons
How much does it costs?
22 € per person
- Greetings by the wine hospitality manager
- Focus on nebbiolo grapes
- Tasting of Nebbiolos at Tenuta Carretta
Reviews of this Winery
Un posto davvero stupendo però il cibo...
Personale attento e disponibile. Il locale è...