Villa Matilde wine tasting in Campania
Here is what you will live
Welcome to Villa Matilde, only 1 hour from Naples! The history of this winery began in the 1960s, when Francesco Paolo Avallone, a lawyer with a passion for ancient wines, decided to bring back to life a local legendary wine, which had disappeared in the early 20th century, the Falernum. With the assistance of a group of friends, including professors in the department of Crop Sciences at the University of Naples, Avallone was able to identify, after years of study, the grape varieties that had produced Falernum in Roman times.
With the help of local farmers, he re-planted the handful of vines that had miraculously survived devastation by phylloxera in the late 19th century, right in the Monte Massico area where they had flourished in ancient times, and he then founded Villa Matilde.
Today you have the opportunity to enjoy a special wine tasting experience choosing by 2 different options:
Falerno standard tour: with this experience you will have a tour of the winery and the cellar, with explanation of the Falernus and then you will taste 2 wines and some local snacks
- Falerno del Massico doc bianco: Straw yellow, its elegant, generous bouquet offers well-ripened fruit, including bananas, yellow peach, Williams’s pear, confectioner’s cream, broom and rose blossoms, and delicate notes of sage and vanilla.
- Falerno del Massico doc Rosso: Aglianico and Piedirosso grape, this red wine shows a deep red, intense, wild black berryfruit, cherry, blackberry, and raspberry. The palate is full-volumed, elegant, and finely balanced in all its components
Falerno premium tour: This is a 3 hours tour that includes winery and cellar tour, plus a tasting of this experience you will have a tour of the winery and the cellar, with explanation of the Falernus and then you will taste 3 wines and local snacks. Indeed, together with the red and white Falerno, you'll taste the Cecubo: a historic wine already prized by the ancient Romans, made from indigenous grape varieties grown on the San Castrese estate on the hillside vineyards on the flanks of the extinct Roccamonfina volcano. Appearing a dark, dense red, its unmistakeable bouquet releases dried plum, wild berryfruit, vanilla, and cocoa powder, lifted by emphatic notes of black liquorice, tobacco, and dried figs. On the palate it is full-bodied, well-structured, and elegant.
How to reach us
Booking Policy & Details
Min. 2 persons
How much does it costs?
Falerno standard tour: 19 €
Falerno premium tour: 39 €
- Greetings by the wine hospitality manager
- Visit of the winery and the cellar
- Introduction to the history of the winery
- Explanation of the Falerno wine
- Wine tasting of 2/3 wines according to your choice
- Transfer to and from the winery
Reviews of this Winery
Ristorante fenomenale. Festa di compleanno vicino al...
Festa di compleanno vicino al calore del camino.
E alla fine dolci e graffette deliziosi.
Ingurgitiamo da incanto buon profumo di mosto...